Now that it’s April and it’s not deathly cold anymore, I’m feeling lighter, which means I’m EATING lighter which means… I’m living on fresh, crispy green things. Like this fresh crispy salad. I’ve been eating it night and day, since I first caught sight of those Spring onions and freshly picked radishes, at my local market. And since I first laid eyes on this season’s crop of butter lettuce.
I can’t get enough.
This salad takes me back to when I was a kid, and my sister and I would run through our family’s freshly tilled garden. Back to the days of sitting cross-legged in a row of peas, and eating green onions and radishes right out of the ground. It was always such a delight to see that first crop pop up, several days after we had planted and watered the seeds. To see the tiny leaves of a carrot peek through that dark brown earth, and to watch the delicate layers of lettuce begin to form, brought a sense of joy and satisfaction that has followed me well into adulthood and into my own passion for gardening.
And the best part? It’s so easy! Just cut a head of baby lettuce in half, set it on a pretty plate and place a few handfuls of mixed greens around it. Nestle some radish slices and finely shredded carrots on top and sprinkle generously with scallions, which are better known around here as green onions. Regardless, don’t be afraid to load em on! The sweetness of the maple vinegraitte balances out their tang and makes them so very happy. Whisk together some lemon juice, olive oil, and maple syrup and drizzle over the top.
And that’s it! You have yourself a fabulous crunchy salad, loaded with all the sights, smells, and tastes of an April garden!
Now, sit back, kick your feet in the “soil” and enjoy!
This salad gets its color and tang from the fresh radishes, its crunch from the green onion, and its sweetness from the maple vinaigrette, making this an all- time greatest hit on our family table.
- 5 cups Spring greens mesclun, mache, watercress, baby arugula, dandelion; include hydroponic lettuces, sprouts and shoots
- 1 head baby butter lettuce
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrots
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 whole scallion, green and white parts, sliced
- Lemon Maple Vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons EV olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tarragon wine vinegar (may substitute any white vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pink salt
- Make the vinaigrette by whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl or shaking in a jar. Let it rest while you plate the salad.
- Place a 1/2 head of baby butter lettuce in the center of two plates. Place one half of the greens around each lettuce, and top with half of the radishes and scallions.
- Drizzle generously with the vinaigrette and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
var plantoeatRef = ’80e5b76070′